The word “winsome” means attractive or pleasing in appearance. Is that how you feel about your home? How can you make it attractive or pleasing to you in appearance? One thing I do is periodically walk from room to room and just look at what is in each one. Does it make me smile to see the room? Are there things in it that do not give me joy? If I were selling the house, how would a potential buyer see it?
Our homes are where we spend a lot of our time. We should enjoy it. We should have joy in our homes. If we are living with a lot of clutter in the house, it is time to let it go. If we are hanging on to things because someone gave it to us, and it does not give us joy. It is time to let it go. If we are holding on to stuff for “one day,” it’s time to let it go. I have spent time each day decluttering. It is so freeing. I have less stuff to clean around when I do my home blessings. I have less stuff to remind the boys to pick up. I have less stuff to steal my joy. Hoarding stuff does not give you joy. It is a joy stealer! God blesses me so much when I let go of stuff. He provides for me every day.
Things do not equal happiness. The quest for acquiring things is a habit. It’s the thrill of the chase. I don’t need that. I want to be surrounded by love and by my family. I do not want to be surrounded by things.
Today is anti-procrastination day. What are you putting off? Don’t put it off any more.
- Make Your Bed (Do this as soon as you get up.)
- Get Dressed Down to Your Shoes
- Swish and Swipe
- Start Your Laundry
- Decide on Dinner
- Check Your Calendar
- Start the Day off with a Shiny Sink. Don’t leave the breakfast dishes sitting.
- Since today is errand day, I hope you have scheduled your school day lightly. If today is not you errand day, remember that tip for the day you go out to buy groceries. It’s ok to hit the basics and get your grocery shopping done. Grocery shopping uses a lot of learning skills from math to reading. In my case, it also involves geography for our country study.
- Eat Lunch
- Clear off One Hot Spot
- Reboot the Laundry
- Declutter for 15 Minutes (Be sure to have your children declutter, too.)
- Drink Your Water
- Zone Focus: Bathroom and one extra room – Clean off a shelf in your bathroom. Throw out things that you do not use. Wipe off the shelf. Just take 5 minutes to do this today.
- Errand day: Make your plan for grocery shopping and errands. Pack water bottles and snacks for everyone. Pack up your library books that need to be turned in.